Why you may need heart surgery:
Are you a candidate for heart surgery? Below are many reasons why someone may seek out heart surgery or treatments. FirstHealth offers many different procedures to help with the many heart diseases or conditions that patients may suffer from.
- Repair or replace the valves that control blood flow through the heart's chambers
- Bypass or widen blocked or narrowed arteries to the heart
- Repair aneurysms, or bulges in the aorta, which can be deadly if they burst
- Treat atrial fibrillation, the most common type of heart rhythm disturbance
- Implant devices to regulate heart rhythms
- Destroy small amounts of tissue that disturb electrical flow through the heart
- Make channels in the heart muscle to allow blood from a heart chamber directly into the heart muscle
Many heart surgery procedures at Reid Heart Center are minimally invasive. They mimic the traditional form of heart surgery however, as a less invasive approach, they translate into less pain, limited blood loss, a shorter hospital stay and a faster recovery for the patient. Our team of cardiothoracic surgeons consults with patients on minimally invasive procedures and if they are right for you.
Our award-winning team of surgeons provides the following surgical treatments:
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG or Open Heart Bypass Surgery)
- Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Mitral Valve Repair
- Mitral Valve Replacement
- MAZE Procedure for Atrial Fibrillation
- MitraClip Procedure
Our Cardiothoracic Surgeons
Peter Ellman, M.D.
Stephen Davies, M.D.
Clifford Kitchens, M.D.
To learn more about the different cardiovascular thoracic surgical treatments or for other questions, please contact us at (910) 715-4111 or (877) 715-4111 toll-free.