Select Heart Service
FirstHealth continues its tradition of excellence with the FirstHealth Valve Clinic, the first multidisciplinary clinic of its kind in the region. At the Valve Clinic our expert cardiovascular surgeons, cardiologists and other cardiac care specialists deliver the highest quality of heart care to patients with complex valve disorders. Some of these disorders may include:
At the heart of the Valve Clinic philosophy is the share care philosophy, which promotes building strong relationships between our patients’ own referring physicians and the Valve Clinic team. The Valve Clinic team works closely with referring physicians in the clinical decision-making and treatment plans to insure a smooth transition for patients as they go return to the care of their own physicians.
The typical process for diagnosing valve disease involves appointments with multiple specialists spread out over weeks or months. At FirstHealth Valve Clinic we have all the specialists under one roof and breakthrough industry leading technology packaged together to provide complete diagnosis and treatment in days. Initial patient appointments are available at Reid Heart Center in Pinehurst or in our Fayetteville location.
There are a number of possible treatments including:
- Lifestyle changes can ease a minor heart valve problem.
- Some medications can alleviate symptoms and allow for a delay in surgery
- Surgery is required for more serious valve problems.
- FirstHealth Valve Clinic is also currently screening patients for the TAVR* procedure.
* The Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) procedure offers hope for heart patients with inoperable aortic stenosis. The TAVR procedure enables the placement of a balloon expandable aortic heart valve into the body via the catheter-based transfemoral/transapical delivery system. The TAVR procedure is designed to provide an alternative treatment to patients in whom the traditional open-heart surgery can not be performed and patients who are high risk for traditional aortic valve replacement.
All patients are carefully evaluated to see if they are candidates for traditional surgical aortic valve replacement and then TAVR can be considered for treatment. The goal is to provide the best treatment for each individual patient.
To begin the process you or your doctor can send a referral to the FirstHealth Valve Clinic by phone, email or our online referral form .
Phone 1 (833) 20-VALVE
You will be contacted within one business day for follow-up on your referral.