A lot of research is required to decipher whether or not weight-loss surgery is the right choice for you, let alone what type of weight-loss surgery is best for you. There are many types of weight-loss surgeries and FirstHealth Bariatric Center offers three:
- Roux-en-Y Divided Gastric Bypass
- Adjustable Gastric Band
- Gastric Sleeve
Each surgery has its own list of pros and cons that each individual considering weight-loss surgery should understand.
To learn more about which surgery is right for you, register for our free weight-loss surgery seminar.
The Roux-en-Y gastric bypass was named after the surgeon who first described the procedure, Cesar Roux. The procedure reconfigures parts of the stomach and intestine to resemble a stick Y-shape. The surgery reduces the capacity of the stomach so it only holds one ounce of food.
- Rapid initial weight-loss
- Minimally invasive
- Used successfully in the U.S. for many years
- Minimal diet restrictions
- No device implanted
- Improves certain pre-existing health conditions such as diabetes
- Bypassed portion of digestive track leads to reduced absorption of essential nutrients
- Lifelong nutritional supplements required
- Not adjustable
- Difficult to reverse
- Higher mortality rate than other procedures
The adjustable gastric band is the only adjustable surgical treatment for morbid obesity. The procedure reduces the size of the stomach by placing a silicone band around the upper part of the stomach, which restricts the amount of food that can be consumed.
- Less invasive option
- No stomach stapling, cutting or intestinal re-routing
- Few problems with vitamin deficiencies than gastric bypass
- Low malnutrition risk
- Reduces hunger sensation
- Short procedure time
- Overnight hospital stay
- No leaks/low complication rate
- Slower initial weight loss than bypass
- Regular follow-up critical for best results
- Not recommended for all patients
- Device implanted
- More frequent follow-up may be required
The gastric sleeve procedure has become an increasingly popular surgical option for weight-loss. “The Sleeve” is a restrictive surgery that permanently removes 85% of the stomach. This procedure is very common among people who have other existing health conditions that make restrictive/malabsorptive surgery less safe. The surgeon divides the stomach into two parts with staples. They will make one side into a narrow tube and the other will remain unused. When you eat, the food will travel through the narrow tube and since the tube can only hold a few ounces of food, it will make you feel full sooner.
- Overnight hospital stay
- No re-routing of the intestinal track
- Lifelong supplements not needed
- Low complication rate
- No risk of marginal ulcer, internal hernia
- Fewer vitamin deficiencies than gastric bypass
- Not reversible
- 85% of stomach removed
- Complications include staple line leak, staple line bleeding, stricture
It is important to do your research and meet with a doctor to determine which type of weight-loss surgery would be best for you. To learn more about the weight-loss surgery options offered by FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital attend one of our FREE weight-loss surgery seminars the first Thursday and third Monday of every month.
FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital in partnership with Pinehurst Surgical offers weight-loss treatment to patients in the Pinehurst, Raeford, Sanford, Lumberton, Laurinburg, Rockingham, and Troy regions of North Carolina and beyond.
July 11, 2018
Finding the right support to find their healthy weight. For one couple: “It’s a whole new world!”PINEHURST – The term “healthy weight” has a special meaning for one Parkton, N.C., couple. Despite years of unsuccessful attempts to lose extra pound…
January 12, 2018
FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital Recognized for Higher Quality in Bariatric SurgeryPINEHURST– Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) has recognized FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital with a Blue Distinction® C…
December 14, 2016
FirstHealth Weight-Loss Surgeons Trained in Non-Surgical ProcedureDavid Grantham, M.D. PINEHURST – The two bariatric surgeons at FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital have been trained in a procedure that has added a…
July 16, 2018
Prediabetes classesYou can prevent type 2 diabetes and FirstHealth Community Health Services is here to help you. PreventT2 is a proven program to prevent or delay type…