Being diagnosed with cancer can leave a sense of uncertainty in patients even after you have started treatment. Aside from the uncertainty, treatments can cause side effects that can leave you feeling a little less than normal.
To try and help with this, FirstHealth of the Carolinas offers a Cancer Wellness program for cancer patients and survivors. The goals of the program are to:
- Ease the transition between treatment and daily life
- Enhance the lives of participants through exercise, education and group support
- Educate participants on how to successfully make and continue lifestyle changes that make a positive impact on their well-being
- Introduce participants to the many tools available through FirstHealth and other community programs that may assist them in remaining well as they continue their fight against cancer
- Establish relationships with others who have similar experiences
The FirstHealth Cancer Wellness program is a seven-week program conducted at the FirstHealthCenter for Health & Fitness – Southern Pines. The program consists of three 90-minute sessions per week. Each session includes both exercise and education, and explains the role each play in improving quality of life.
Diet and exercise are an important part of cancer wellness. A proper diet can help combat treatment side effects that leave you feeling sick or weak. Read more about proper diets for cancer patients in our blog Importance of a Healthy Diet for Cancer Patients. As for exercise, not only will it help you become fitter and stronger but exercise can also:
- Improve mood
- Boost self-confidence
- Reduce fatigue
- Lower risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes
Aside from providing knowledge on how to improve your quality of life, the Cancer Wellness program also offers an array of support groups and other cancer management services to support patients and caregivers during and after cancer treatments.
To learn more about cancer support groups in your area please visit ncancercare.org. FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital offers cancer treatment and support to patients in the Pinehurst, Raeford, Sanford, Lumberton, Laurinburg, Rockingham, and Troy regions of North Carolina and beyond.