Mohamed Ibrahim, M.D.
|Yolanda Newton, M.D.|
ROCKINGHAM – According to National Cancer Institute estimates, 12,170 new cases of cervical cancer will be diagnosed this year and nearly 4,300 women will die of the disease.
Because cervical cancer is usually slow-growing, regular Pap smear screenings that begin when a woman becomes sexually active or by the time she reaches age 21 can help decrease those numbers.
Two Richmond County OB/GYN specialists will be offering Pap smears to women who attend the 29th annual Wellness Screening Day at FirstHealth Richmond Memorial Hospital. The annual event will be held Saturday, Oct. 8, from 8 a.m. to noon.
“Early detection equals cure,” say Mohamed Ibrahim, M.D., and Yolanda Newton, M.D., the two OB/GYN specialists from FirstHealth Richmond Medical Group – Women’s Center who will offer the Wellness Screening Day tests.
The cost is $20.
Also scheduled for Wellness Screening Day are the following screenings and presentations:
- Wellness Profile: This comprehensive metabolic profile includes cholesterol with HDL, LDL and triglycerides, glucose, complete blood count, thyroid profile and more. The cost is $25. Diagnostic results interpretations will be provided by John Flannery, M.D.; Joseph Gibbons, D.O.; Zeidan F. Zeidan, M.D.; Shoukath Ansari, M.D.; Shilpesh Patel, M.D.; Amir Darwish, M.D.; Bo Kopynec, M.D.; Steven Collins, P.A.-C; Steven Millen, ANP; and Mandy Martin, ANP.
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA): This test is used for the detection of prostate infection, benign (non-cancerous) enlargement of the prostate and prostate cancer. The cost is $10.
- Glycosylated Hemoglobin/A1C: This blood test provides an index of long-term glucose control and helps doctors manage the treatment of patients with diabetes. The cost is $10.
- EKGs (provided by RMH hospitalist physicians Mark Aarons, M.D.; Debby Crosley, M.D.; and John Flannery, M.D.) Free.
- Peak Flow Test (PFTs), provided by the Cardiopulmonary Department at Richmond Memorial Hospital). Free.
- Carotid artery, peripheral vascular disease and abdominal aortic aneurysm: Ultrasound screenings for the detection of vascular disease. Appointments available upon registration. The cost is $30 for one screening or $85 for all three.
- Prostate Exam: Provided by Hazem El-Droubi, M.D., of Richmond Urology Clinic; by appointment with completed PSA results. Please call (910) 997-5054 and indicate Wellness Screening Day.
- Venous Reflux Disease Screening for Varicose Veins, provided by Zeidan Zeidan, M.D., of Richmond Surgical Clinic.
- Wound care screenings and information, provided by the staff of the Wound Care & Hyperbaric Center at Richmond Memorial Hospital.
- Glaucoma/vision screenings, provided by Covington Optometric Clinic.
- Blood pressure checks, provided by Richmond County Hospice.
- Pulse oximetry tests, provided by the Cardiopulmonary Department at Richmond Memorial Hospital.
- Grip strength screenings, provided by the FirstHealth Center for Rehabilitation.
- Skin cancer check and cancer screening, provided by Carolina Skin Care.
- Urinalysis screenings, provided by FirstHealth Richmond Medical Group.
- Osteoporosis Screenings, provided by FirstHealth Richmond Memorial Hospital Imaging.
- Hernia screenings, provided by Zeidan Zeidan, M.D., of Richmond Surgical Clinic.
- Foot evaluations, provided by Fattah Mirian, DPM.
- Colorectal cancer screenings, provided by Shoukath Ansari, M.D., of Marlboro Gastroenterology Associates, and the Richmond Memorial Hospital Lab.
- Mini-chiropractic consultations and chair massages, by Larry Stogner, D.C., and A. Shane Dreher, D.C.
- Information on flu prevention and protection, by Richmond Memorial Hospital Infection Control.
- Flu ($32) and pneumonia ($89) vaccines, provided by the Richmond County Health Department. Free or low-cost for those with Medicare Part B, BCBS, MedCost, Railroad, N.C. Health Choice, Cigna, Medicaid and United Healthcare. (Must bring insurance card; limited availability)
- Paraffin wax hand treatments, provided by the FirstHealth Center for Rehabilitation.
- Body Mass Index information, provided by FirstHealth First in Health Committee.
- The Happy Kitchen cooking demonstrations provided by FirstHealth Community Health Services.
Wellness Screening Day participation is limited to those who are 18 years of age and older.
FirstHealth Richmond Memorial Hospital is a division of FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital.
June 2, 2016
Summer Skin CareSummer in the Sandhills has arrived and, with the warmer weather, comes outdoor activities – and the occasional sunburn. Skin cancer is the most comm…
March 22, 2016
Women’s Health Topics to Highlight FirstHealth “Girl Talk” ProgramPINEHURST – Heart, breast and bone health are among the most-discussed women’s health topics of today, and each will be highlighted during the upcomi…
December 29, 2015
Five Tips for the New YearYear after year we make resolutions to exercise regularly, eat well, give up smoking and other bad habits. But most of us fail to keep our promises t…
October 3, 2016
34th Annual Wellness Screening Day - Pre-ScreensWellness Screening Day pre-screens are available at Richmond Memorial on the following dates from 6 to 9:30 a.m. Monday, September 26 Tuesday, Sept…