Respiratory care is a support service for the treatment, management and control of breathing disorders or cardiovascular problems for all age groups. The service is provided 24 hours a day.
Respiratory care practitioners (therapists) are licensed health care providers who focus on the treatment of breathing disorders or cardiovascular problems.
The services provided by respiratory care practitioners are both diagnostic and therapeutic.
Care provided by respiratory care practitioners (therapists) may include:
- Administration of oxygen
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Monitoring cardiopulmonary systems
- Management of mechanical ventilators
- Measuring lung function
Diagnostics may include:
- Obtaining and examining a sample from the respiratory tract
- Reading test results from pulmonary function studies
- Performing tests and studies of the cardiopulmonary system
- Performing respiratory care consultations per doctor request
Therapeutic activities may include:
- Invasive and noninvasive mechanical ventilation support, including high-frequency oscillation therapy
- Artificial airway placement and care
- Bronchopulmonary hygiene (chest physiotherapy and breathing treatments)
- Medicine for respiratory therapies
- Medical gas administration such as Heliox and Heated High Flow Oxygen Therapy