FirstHealth Centers for Outpatient Rehabilitation are the only rehabilitation programs in the area to offer aquatic therapy. Our aquatic rehabilitation therapists work with patients whose illness or condition make traditional land-based therapy too painful or difficult.
Aquatic therapy is appropriate for a variety of diagnoses including arthritis, chronic pain conditions, post-operative pain and weakness, neuropathy, neurological disorders, orthopedic and sport injuries, gait and balance deficits and pregnancy.
Is exercise painful for you?
Exercising in water is a wonderful alternative for many people suffering from painful or weakened conditions. In water, the pull of gravity onto the body is not as strong as it is on land, so motion and functional activity are more comfortable. Water supports the body and provides assistance to movement, making the therapy techniques easier for those suffering pain. Other benefits include:
- Increased range of motion and flexibility
- Reduced joint stress
- Improved muscle strength and tome
- Increased cardiovascular function
- Increased circulation
- Increased strength and endurance
Some common conditions treated with aquatic therapy include:
- Arthritis, back pain and other pain conditions.
- Post surgical conditions such as total hip or knee replacement or rotator cuff surgery
- Orthopedic and sports injuries
- Stroke and other neurological disorders
- Balance disorders
For more information on FirstHealth Centers for Outpatient Rehabilitation or aquatic therapy services, call (910) 715-1600.