Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) is an evidence based treatment model that addresses behavioral and emotional difficulties in children ages 3 to 18 and their families or caregivers following sexual abuse, sexual assault and other serious trauma – including physical abuse, traumatic loss of a loved one, exposure to domestic and/or community violence and involvement in a large-scale disaster.
Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is designed to:
- Reduce a child’s negative emotional and behavioral responses to trauma
- Correct maladaptive beliefs and attributions related to traumatic experiences
- Give caregivers the support and skills necessary to respond to a child's needs (e.g. managing sexually reactive behaviors)
Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy at FirstHealth Behavioral Services includes:
- Initial assessment
- 12 to 16 sessions (based on the individual’s needs)
- Family systems support
- 50-minute therapy sessions that can be scheduled Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (sessions are also available Wednesday evenings.)
For more information about Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, call (910) 715-3370.