Last year, with the support of more than 4,383 employees and 999 volunteers, FirstHealth served the community with:
- 27,678 discharges
- 108,463 visits to hospital emergency departments
- 39,803 visits to FirstHealth Family Care Centers
- EMS service to 19,390 patients
- Insurance coverage for 17,185 lives and 1,290 Medicare Advantage beneficiaries through FirstCarolinaCare Insurance Company, FirstHealth’s insurance plan
Giving back to the communities we serve is a priority with FirstHealth. Through our community benefit program we provide charity care for patients as well as services including mobile health screenings; dental health programs in Moore, Montgomery and Hoke counties; school health programs in Moore and Montgomery counties; a tobacco use prevention and cessation program; transportation services; medication assistance program; and a language interpreter program.
In addition FirstHealth:
- In 2011FirstHealth provided more than $36 million in Community Benefit.
- In 2011, FirstHealth hospitals and Family Care Centers provided $10.7 million in charity care for patients unable to pay for services.
- FirstHealth participates in government entitlement programs providing care to patients; where reimbursements provided under these programs do not cover the cost of care. In 2011, these non-reimbursed costs for Medicaid patients totaled $17.1 million.
- More than 114,000 employee and volunteer hours combined were contributed toward community benefit activities in 2011. 999 volunteers contributed more than 109,036 hours during 2012 to provide assistance at all hospitals and entities